Monday 7 July 2014

Running to God

Jonah 1-4

Something to say and show
(creep towards the front slowly, slink across the wall, get scared and jump behind the sofa, pop your head up) Psst......(pop head down again and then pop up somewhere else) Psst...Kids Church, is it safe for me to come out? Is he there? I'm sure I just saw him! You guys are so brave sitting out there, aren't you scared he's going to see you? (Hopefully someone will ask who by now. Come out and explain...) Well it's my dad, let me tell you a story. This morning my dad gave me some money and asked me to go to the shops and buy some cat food for Sprinkles. So I went to the shop and everything was fine, I found the cat food and was about to pay but then I saw something else....something that looked a lot tastier than cat food so I thought, why get the cat food for Sprinkles when I can get this giant tub of sweeties for me! (sheepishly lift up a massive tub of sweeties). I know I'm in trouble. Problem is, I don't know what to do now. I can't go home because my dad is going to be really upset with me. I spent his money on sweets instead of cat food! so I guess I'm just going to have to avoid going home forever?! What do you think? How long do you think I should stay away from home before he isn't angry with me anymore? (take suggestions, lead them to a point where they suggest going home and saying sorry) Yeah, you're right. I can't keep running away, I've got to go home and say sorry to my dad. He might be angry at first but he's also my dad. He'll forgive me because I know he loves me. there's no point running away from someone who loves you. In todays story we heard about Jonah who tried to run away from God. I can hide from my dad but I can't hide from God. Even if you're on a ship in the middle of the ocean or inside a huge whale, god knows where you are. that's how much he loves you. Why would we want to run away from that love? God knows everything we've done and has forgiven us. Run towards god and say sorry and let him love you. We don't need to run away.
 

Something to pray
Pray that the children would know how much God loves them. Pray he would help them come to him instead of running from him.

A verse to remember
Never will I leave you, never will I forsake you. Hebrews 13:5

No comments:

Post a Comment