Wednesday 3 December 2014

“Jesus is bigger than our fears” Mark 4:35-41

Props:
Some fish
4 blankets
Jesus Story book bible DVD “Jesus calms the storm”

Something to say
We all tend to worry about different stuff, some big stuff and some little stuff. What am I going to have for dinner, will I make it into the football team, will my mum buy me that new jumper/pair of trainers I want, what would I get for Christmas, will I pass my exams, what if I get that question wrong?

Q: What are you worried about? Ask the children and see what they say, encouraging them as they say it.
Now we’re going to watch a story about when Jesus’s followers got REALLY scared. What do you think Jesus did?

Something to show
Show the DVD “Jesus Calms the storm”

Something to do:
Once the DVD is finished, act out the scene by getting a blanket for the boat, three for the ‘lake’ ‘storm’. Ask for someone to volunteer to be Jesus and for three volunteers to play the ‘friends’ in the boat who were scared. Make swishy water noise for waves and (cant hear you!!! Louder!!!), pop the fish in the blankets when the waves are high for fun effect and ask Jesus to “calm the storm” when the swishy noises will get quieter and quieter and quieter.... 

Something to do:
Ask the children to split into 3 and create a big picture of the boat, putting inside the boat all their fears such as spiders, sharks, snakes etc.

Something to pray Ask the children to sit and close their eyes. Ask them to think about the things that worry them, all the things that bother them, no matter how big or how small. Now ask them to picture God there with them, and ask them to hand over all their worries and concerns to him and trust him to take them away.



Memory Verse: "When I am afraid, I will trust in you." Psalm 56:3

No comments:

Post a Comment